Rising R&B singer Daniel Caesar’s debut, the newest effort by Arcade Fireplace, and a posthumous work from Gord Downie are among the many long-listed albums for the Polaris Music Prize.
The juried award for greatest Canadian album of the yr was narrowed all the way down to 40 contenders who might qualify for the quick listing revealed subsequent month.
Among the many initiatives named is All the pieces Now, the disco-rock social assertion launched final yr by Arcade Fireplace, who beforehand received the Polaris for The Suburbs in 2011.
Caesar’s breakout assortment of sluggish jams, Freudian, joins different albums that made an influence, together with Downie’s Introduce Yerself, a collection of affection letters written by the Tragically Hip frontman to his associates shortly earlier than he died of mind most cancers.
A number of indie darlings additionally made the lengthy listing, amongst them Toronto dream pop band Alvvays with Antisocialites, in addition to Bahamas for the album Earthtones and Charlotte Day Wilson with Stone Lady.
The Polaris jury additionally chosen numerous idea albums from Indigenous artists.
Jeremy Dutcher’s Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa melds the operatic tenor’s voice with century-old recordings of individuals talking the Wolastoq language, whereas The Common Savage from hip-hop duo Snotty Nostril Rez Children is a staunch rejection of racism and stereotypes levelled towards residential communities.
Different highlights embrace Each Methods from Sarnia, Ont.-raised nation performer Donovan Woods, Lil Mont from The Ave by Toronto rapper Clairmont The Second and New Errors from Hamilton singer-songwriter Terra Lightfoot.
The Polaris Music Prize is awarded to the artist or group that created the very best Canadian album of the earlier yr — regardless of style or gross sales — as chosen by a big staff of journalists, broadcasters and bloggers. The lengthy listing was chosen from 225 albums that made the primary ballots.
A brief listing of contenders will probably be revealed on July 17.
The Polaris winner will probably be awarded $50,000 on Sept. 17 at a gala presentation held at Toronto’s Carlu, which will probably be webcast by CBC Music.
2018 Polaris Music Prize lengthy listing
- Allie, Nightshade
- Alvvays, Antisocialites
- Arcade Fireplace, All the pieces Now
- Bahamas, Earthtones
- The Barr Brothers, Queens of the Breakers
- Bernice, Puff LP: Within the Air And not using a Form
- Jean-Michel Blais, Dans ma predominant
- Bonjay, Lush Life
- Booji Boys, Weekend Rocker
- Philippe Brach, Le silence des troupeaux
- Cadence Weapon, Cadence Weapon
- Daniel Caesar, Freudian
- Jennifer Fort, Angels of Dying
- Clairmont The Second, Lil Mont from The Ave
- Gord Downie, Introduce Yerself
- Jeremy Dutcher, Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa
- Religion Healer, Strive 😉
- FRIGS, Primary Behaviour
- Zaki Ibrahim, The Secret Lifetime of Planets
- Iskwé, The Battle Inside
- Kacy & Clayton, The Siren’s Tune
- Lydia Kepinski, Premier Juin
- Pierre Kwenders, Makanda on the Finish of Area, the Starting of Time
- Pierre Lapointe, La science du coeur
- Mélissa Laveaux, Radyo Siwel
- Hubert Lenoir, Darlene
- Terra Lightfoot, New Errors
- Loud, Une annee file
- Milk & Bone, Deception Bay
- Accomplice, In Search Of Misplaced Time
- Propagandhi, Victory Lap
- Vivek Shraya & Queer Songbook Orchestra, Half-Time Lady
- Sloan, 12
- Snotty Nostril Rez Children, The Common Savage
- U.S. Ladies, In A Poem Limitless
- The Climate Station, The Climate Station
- Weaves, Huge Open
- Charlotte Day Wilson, Stone Lady
- Donovan Woods, Each Methods
- Yamantaka // Sonic Titan, Dust