A crime thriller starring Nicole Kidman and Regina actor Tatiana Maslany will compete for a $25,000 jury prize at this yr’s Toronto Worldwide Movie Pageant.
Destroyer, directed by Karyn Kusama, can be amongst 12 function movies screening within the pageant’s worldwide Platform program.
It stars Kidman as a police detective coping with the repercussions of a darkish undercover project from her previous.
Different movies competing for the prize embody Her Scent by Alex Ross Perry, starring Elisabeth Moss, Amber Heard, and Cara Delevingne.
In the meantime, Patricia Clarkson is among the many stars of Out of Blue by Carol Morley, and Jamie Bell stars in Donnybrook by Tim Sutton.
Now in its fourth yr, the Platform program options works which have excessive inventive advantage and a robust directorial imaginative and prescient.
Earlier titles which have screened as a part of the program embody Pablo Larrain’s Jackie and Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight.
A 3-person worldwide jury will announce the winner on the final day of the fest, which runs Sept. 6 to 16.
The remainder of this yr’s Platform program includes:
- Angelo directed by Markus Schleinzer.
- Cities of Final Issues directed by Ho Wi Ding.
- The Good Ladies directed by Alejandra Marquez Abella.
- The Harmless directed by Simon Jaquemet.
- Jessica Endlessly directed by Caroline Poggi and Jonathan Vinel.
- Mademoiselle de Joncquières directed by Emmanuel Mouret.
- The River directed by Emir Baigazin.
- Rojo directed by Benjamin Naishtat.